Sunday 18 October 2015

Retired 6 Months - And.........

It is 6 months since I retired. I thought you would like an update......

Well it wasn't quite what I planned or expected folks.

I am afraid life has conspired a series of unexpected disasters that have made retirement (so far) a rather colourful, and occasionally, trying time. However, none of these crisis are (thankfully) life threatening, although some issues are rather personal and thus I will not discuss them in detail.

However - the basics....

My middle son Sam returned home to live in the family home.and we have his son, my lovely grandson Izaak with us 3 nights a week. That said I had forgotten just how busy a 2 year old can be.... 

A real crisis arose when Jan my lovely wife gets a bad back - seriously prolapsing a disk at L5. We have to leave a festival in Yorkshire in a real hurry, this followed by an emergency admission week in hospital, and 4 months in a wheelchair. 

But we fought back... Sam is now in College and doing voluntary work. My other 2 sons Tom and Robert are doing brilliantly in their careers. My other Grandson Dafydd is growing and flourishing. Jan is improving - slowly... 

I lost a good friend to premature death. But then we traveled happily across the UK in our Mobile Home, going to Festival, and other beautiful places en-route, to get to Edinburgh for his perfect and poignant funeral. 

And I am getting used to "being retired". I am writing, thinking, reading... I am rested, focused, and tired, all simultaneously. I am reflective and engaged - it is the next phase of life. And it takes a little getting used to - you have to find a "new routine" to to life after a lifetime of work.

I sat with Izaak this evening, he perched on my lap, watching the Frog Song - his little hand intently gripped my hand. I kissed his soft hair and I surged with a sense of permanence and love. The sun sank over Fairwood from my back garden.  

Despite all that life throws at us - everyday is a new beginning............ And life is as always complicated. 










1 comment:

  1. Buy sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide on the
    Find out how to get the best deals on 출장마사지 sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide babyliss nano titanium online in titanium gr 2 Bahrain. zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sunscreen Learn how to get the best deals on sunscreen with zinc damascus titanium oxide

    ReplyDelete