Wednesday 30 April 2014

A Welsh Hymn

Today

This Inspired Me

Starting Out

@JoGwilym - 2nd Year Student Nurse - Swansea University

Tomorrow's Nurses

 Well Educated - Skilled - Reflective  - Compassionate 

And Good Singers 

Jo is caring for a dying man she has just met, sitting with him at his end.....

"What could I do? I remembered reading that that the last sense to leave the dying person is hearing. So I decided to talk to him. 

But there was a problem. Never usually short of words I suddenly found myself in a black hole for vocabulary. After reassuring Robert that he was not alone, that I was here for him and would not leave him, I dried up. 

What do you say to a person you do not know. I though about reading him a passage from the book on his bedside table, but there was no bookmark. I did not know whether he had started it, was halfway through, or had nearly finished. My concern was that Robert could become frustrated if I read him  something he had already covered, and the last thing I wanted to do was upset him in any way.

I then thought I could talk to him about my family, but I did not want Robert to end up being an agony uncle as I poured out my personal woes. Again I was at a loss.
My main aim was to keep Robert as comfortable and unafraid as possible. So I decided to sing a Welsh Hymn to him quietly. Within minutes Robert had passed away.

It is an experience that will always stay with me. It is`a privilege to be able to offer comfort to dying patients, and I am glad I was able to hold Roberts hand as he took his last breaths, reassuring him he was not alone."


No comments:

Post a Comment